International Oncology Funding Opportunities & Placements
GO engages many early-career health professionals in our work. A recurring theme they encounter is how difficult it can be to launch their careers while simultaneously trying to contribute to the growing urgency in global oncology. There is little time and flexibility to develop both.
In response, GO is maintaining this webpage to facilitate access to the following information:
- Clinical and research placements in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC)
- Funding and research opportunities both in the U.S. and internationally
Recognizing how many patients in sub-Saharan Africa are diagnosed with late-stage cancer—and the consequent 80% fatality rates—Takeda is helping to fund the training of ten oncology fellows over a two-year period. Takeda hopes this training will increase the number of facilities offering access to cancer treatments and improve access—and eventually shift statistics from late- to early-stage cancer diagnosis.
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
American Society of Hematology (ASH)Several ASH programs are specifically designed for hematologists working and residing outside of The United States, Canada, and Mexico. Additionally, many of the Society's other programs and awards are open to international participants.– Global Research Award : Letter of Intent deadline: 31 Aug 2018, 11:59 p.m. Pacific time
– Young Investigator Awards : ongoing
– General Programs and Awards : see listing with various deadlines– ASH-EHA Translational Research Training in Hematology : deadline : 21 Jun 2018
- Year-long training and mentoring program focused on helping junior researchers build successful careers in hematologic translational research
American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH)
– Awards, fellowships and other opportunities : deadlines from 24 May to 12 Jul 2018
Supporting professional growth of early- and mid-career professionals.
Binaytara Foundation Cancer Center (BTFCC)Seeking oncology fellows, doctors, nurses, and palliative care professionals to travel to Nepal. You would be spending 2-4 weeks (at a time that is up to you) helping with the development process of our new Binaytara Foundation Cancer Center (BTFCC). This would include helping to provide clinical care while training the BTFCC's current healthcare staff. If interested, please email a copy of your CV and cover letter to BTFCCjob@binayfoundation.
David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT– The Mazumdar-Shaw International Oncology Fellows Program : high-impact, bilateral collaboration with India focusing on cancer research training as its cornerstone. The program offers opportunities for postdoctoral scientists, engineers, and physicians to undertake cancer research at the Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT, working at the interfaces between biology/medicine and the diverse fields of mathematics, engineering, computer science, and the physical and chemical sciences.
European Hematology Association
– EHA-ASH Translational Research Training in Hematology : deadline : 21 Jun 2018
European Society for Medical Oncology
A non-exhaustive selection of international cancer research funders, umbrella organisations and directories for your international projects.
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Part of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Science; tackles the complex issues that shape the sexual and reproductive health of women across the globe.
International Myeloma Foundation: found from Winship Cancer Institute
– The Brain D. Novis Foundation Research Grant : deadline : 1 Aug 2018
The International Myeloma Foundation funds several research grants including the Brian D. Novis Research Award. These awards go to researchers doing work in the field of multiple myeloma and related disorders including smoldering myeloma, MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance) as well as immunoglobulin derived amyloidosis.
International Society of Pediatric Oncology– SIOP Awards and Programs : see listing
Supporting paediatric oncologists in all stages of their careers and to honour those who have helped to advance the field of pediatric oncology.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
– International Observership Program
– International Surgical Oncology Global Cancer Disparities Fellowship : closed (May 1, 2018)
- Application details
- The Department of Surgery offers a one-year International Surgical Oncology Global Cancer Disparities Fellowship to fully trained surgeons. The aim of the International Surgical Oncology Global Cancer Disparities Fellowship is to train the fellow to effectively direct multimodality cancer therapy for the cancer patients in both high- and low-income countries.
National Institutes of Health
Navya Online Consultation
Collaboration with Tata Memorial Centre and National Cancer Grid
Organization for Women in Sciece in the Developing World
– Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowships : deadline: 31 Aug 2018
Up to USD 50,000 offered to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects and are employed at an academic or scientific research institute in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs). ECWS fellows will be supported to continue their research at an international level while based at their home institutes and to build up research groups that will attract international visitors.
Roswell Park Comprehenssive Cancer CenterThese fellowships include a Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO) accredited two-year fellowship, a three-year T32 urologic research training program, and an international fellowship of six months to two years duration.
Rutgers Global Health Institute
– no international opportunities at present time
Union of International Cancer Control (UICC)– Grants and Fellowships : facilitate the professional development of oncology healthcare workers and global leaders in cancer control
– Yamagiwa-Yoshida Memorial International Study Grants (YY) research collaborations abroad
- Round 1 Open: 6 Feb 2018 Closes: 19 Apr 2018
- Round 2 Open: 1 Jul 2018 Closes: 1 Oct 2018
– SPARC: Metastatic Breast Cancer Challenge : UICC and Pfizer award grants to 20 organisations in 19 countries to address the needs of metastatic breast cancer patients worldwide– Technical Fellowships : 1-month fellowship focusing on rapid transfer of cancer knowledge and clinical technology : applications accepted at any time
- Open: 15 Aug 2018
- Closes: 15 Oct 2018
University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center– Hospital-Based Oncology Opportunity at UCSF: HS Assistant or Associate Clinical Professor
– UCSF Global Cancer Program Funding Opportunities: see listing; includes NIT grant opportunities– Resource Allocation Program: Global Cancer Pilot Award : support a wide range of research, including basic science, clinical/translational science, epidemiology, social science, and behavioral science : while applications to develop capacity-building projects are allowable, this mechanism will prioritize the funding of research projects that will lead to future NIH grant proposals or other substantive extramural funding : closed (26 Feb 2018)
- Deadline: October 10, 2018
- Opens: 1 Aug annually
- Closes: 1 Nov annually
- 12-month, mentored research fellowship for investigators interested in studying diseases and conditions in developing countries
- US doctoral students (PhD, DrPH, etc.), professional students (MD, DDS, DVM, PharmD, etc.) and postdoctoral fellows, as well as foreign postdoctoral fellows from affiliated international sites in LIMCs
The University of Alabama (UAB) at Birmingham– Globalization and Cancer Initiative : facilitates expansion of existing international partnerships and develops new global relationships associated with cancer health disparities
- Develop and maintain an infrastructure to promote collaborative research and training in Globalization and Cancer
- Develop and maintain sustainable global partnerships in cancer research and training
- Train the next generation of researchers in Globalization and Cancer
– Fogarty Global Health Fellowship : closed
– Training Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine : deadline : 17 Jul 2018
– Seed Awards in Science : deadline : 5 Jul 2018
Have questions or resources to share?
Email us @ email@example.com